Did you watch them? The Opening Ceremonies of the Olympic Games in Beijing? As a kid - I was always riveted to the TV during the Olympics - and I remember getting to stay up late to watch them. I have to admit, though, that it has been a long time since I have really followed them at all. But tonight I sat and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience - including some of the commercials (24 Hour Fitness had the best of the evening). I just might have to do a little more watching this year.
So tonight - in honor of the Opening Ceremonies - a few thoughts and observations. I truly just loved everything about the Ceremonies - the first part of the ceremonies - the artistic part - China really put on quite the show. All of the performers and the drummers and the precision - just fascinating! And then the Parade of Nations - I love watching the athletes coming into the stadium - they are all so excited - the big smiles, all them taking pictures and waving with conviction and the little countries that only have a few athletes - they are the best! Did I mention that I just loved it!
And hearing all the interesting stories about the countries... Did you know...
Japan has the oldest athlete competing in equestrian - he is 67 and competed in the 1964 Olympics.
The president of Israel had to walk back to his hotel so he didn’t violate the Sabbath by being driven in a car (thank you, God, for sending your Son!).
Great Britain has a 14 year old diver competing and will host the 2012 Olympics.
The flag of Paraguay is different on both sides.
Hong Kong had its own delegation - they weren’t part of China - which only has one time zone for the entire country.
Roger Federer was the flag bearer for Switzerland and today was his birthday - what a cool birthday present!
The Prime Minister from Australia is fluent in Mandarin.
China represents 1/5 of humanity - 1.3 billion people!
I found it amusing when the British Virgin Islands came in after Great Britain and either Bob Costas or Matt Lauer commented about them following the Mother Country!
I noticed a lot of Track and Field athletes carrying the flags.
And since when did Sailing and Table Tennis and Taekwondo become Olympic sports? I heard that BMX is going to be a sport for the first time this year.
And what exactly is Whitewater, Flatwater and Judo?
And all politics aside - it was wonderfully moving when the Chinese athletes entered the stadium - moved me to tears (go figure)! That and the little boy that survived the earthquake back in May that walked with flag bearer Yao Ming. Again, did I mention that I just loved it! God Bless all the athletes and Good Luck to them all!
No comments:
Post a Comment