Friday, August 22, 2008

Just Call In Sick And Stay Home With Me

I had such plans for tonight...  at one point during the week, I thought - I'm going to be a good egg and go to the gym - and then I thought - I'm going to drive up and enjoy the fireworks at Disneyland.  But I got home - sat on the couch with my baby doll (that would be Sadie) and thought - this is where I want to be.  This morning I was having a hard time getting my act together to go to work - and I was sitting there on the couch trying to motivate myself and looked over at the cat and she started to purr and her look said 'Just call in sick and stay home with me' - it took everything I had to go into to work.  I had to though - I was teaching and just couldn't stick my class with someone else - not that they are a bad group - there are only two of them - but I just would never do that.  It was an unexpectedly busy week this week - especially in the evenings, so I decided to stay in this evening and hang with her - and it has just been wonderful.

I do have a few mom stories to share from earlier in the week.  I went by to visit and drop off her laundry - and usually when I pick up her dirty laundry - I'll go through her drawers to find anything else that needs to be washed - she never puts her socks in the dirty laundry - so I have to search them out.  As I was looking through her drawers - the number of toilet paper rolls she has been collecting is just fascinating - I know I've written about it before - but I had to have put at least 8-10 almost empty rolls in dirty laundry to take home and throw out - and I still left half a dozen in the dresser!

As I was taking some of her clothes out of the dresser and closet to take with me to wash - she kept stopping me and asking me to show her what I was taking so she would know - like it makes a difference!  I show her every week - and every week I hear that her favorite nightgown or sweater or shirt has gone missing - only to find out that I had it and washed it.  And then I remind her again and again and again a few moments later that I have brought the clothing back.

While I was there visiting - her neighbor came by and knocked and then walked in.  After she left - my mom commented that she always walks in because she has a key.  And I told her that she doesn't have a key - but the door was unlocked.  Of course my mom insists that she ALWAYS locks the door - yeah - that's why I was able to walk in without my key when I had arrived earlier.  So I tried to remind my mom to lock her door - but, of course, she ALWAYS locks her door - how do you tell a woman with Alzheimer's that she's wrong and she needs to remember to do something?!  God Bless Her!

Well, it's about time to go - the Olympics are on - and as my friend Jan noted - they are almost over!  Must watch as much as I can - that and I'm tired tonight and hope to go to bed early.  Pleasant weekend, everyone!


1 comment:

Jan said...

Hey Hey! I was relieved to note that the closing ceremonies aren't until SUNDAY...so I've got a few bonus days from what I originally thought. I am also in countdown mode to our reunion and subsequent gathering, just a week from today! Ohe yes and one other thing - I resigned from JJ on Friday...yikes! I can't blog about it yet because the announcement hasn't gone out to the system (that will be on Monday), but you can consider yourself in the know!!! It has been a difficult process, but ultimately I feel like I have really landed in the best place overall. More to come later!