Sunday, August 3, 2008

How I Spent My Big Bear Vacation

So I came up to Big Bear this weekend with such grand ideas of doing stuff.  I brought my 4 DVD disk set of England photos to look at, my iWork ’08 book to learn how to use Pages (Apple’s word processing program) - brought the music I’m singing next Sunday to practice, along with the VBS music and puppet scripts to go through, two books and 3 DVD’s from Netflix to watch.  Not really sure when I planned to do all of this - I had also planned on composing a few more England blogs - the best laid plans!  So here is how I really spent my Big Bear vacation (all two days of it)...


A few driving observations...  what’s up with the people that try to merge on to the freeway at 30 or 40 mph?!  And then driving up the hill - nothing like getting stuck behind a car doing 20 in a 40mph zone.  Of course, I was only 1 of 9 cars behind this one guy - he can’t pull over and let us go? - it’s not like we are all going to get in front of him and drive slower.


So I hung out at the Gallery most of the day - did some computer work for my dad and then he and I had a nice lunch together.  We then went up to the house to do some work - we had to move all the stuff from the ‘junk’ room into the garage - one flight up!  Check out the pictures to get the full view of what we were doing - and when you look at them - keep in mind that about 90% of the stuff had to go upstairs - so I definitely got my exercise.  What is scary is the reason we had to clean out that room - apparently there is quite a bit of dry rot and the main beam that supports the driveway is now leaning - onto the gas line!  Lovely - again - take a look at the pictures - the side of the building buckles and the driveway has sunk about 2 inches!  They had a contractor out Saturday and will start work on Monday to get it fixed.  Got a really cute picture of my dad and I while we were resting - getting the picture was definitely worth all the work!


And as if I didn’t get enough exercise making 30 - 40 trips up the stairs - I decided I needed a walk also - walked around the block - about a mile.  Kenai came with me - and it wasn’t until the end of the walk that I realized that he just isn’t in the same shape that I am - when we got back he laid down next to the door with his water bowl and panted the night away.


Slept in this morning - which was good - and then just sat around the house a bit - just enjoying the quiet and solitude of the morning - enjoying the beautiful scenery and just trying to stop a little and take a break.  Wanted to spend the whole day at the house - but also wanted to spend time with my dad - and he was at the Gallery - so I have since wandered down to the Gallery - where it is relatively quiet - nice for me - not so good for sales - oh well.  Will be up here until tonight and then will take the trek back home and then back to the grindstone tomorrow - it’s been so nice to get away and just slow down and relax... might have to do this more often.  Happy Sunday and check out the pics from yesterday.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Hola! I enjoyed the photos - I really like Big Bear, we used to go there when I was a kid. Once or twice in the winter but most often in the summer. We spent a lot of time fishing on the lake, which I had a problem with but avoided the whole killing conflict by removing the hook from my reel and just casting it out! Glad to know that you got a little bit of time to slow down, perhaps you can make it a 3 or 4 day weekend the next time around!