Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 6 - The Longest Day Ever

So yesterday started good enough - woke up to fresh snow and what looked like a winter wonderland. We took Sheila down to the airport and went grocery shopping in the big city - aka Boise! It snowed for part of the time - but luckily not enough to stick while we were driving.

So we get home and have lunch - left over soup from the dinner party the night before - and my dad decides to take a nap - after his nap he gets up and goes back into the living room and I get on the phone for a bit with a friend - telling her how well my dad is doing - spoke a bit too soon! When I get back into the living room he isn't feeling well - he is dizzy and hot - when I feel his forehead - clammy and wants his blood pressure taken - insisting that he is sick - not that I'm debating him... I call the neighbor who is a retired nurse and while I'm on the phone with her he becomes unresponsive - needless to say - I immediately hang up the phone with her and dial 911 - my worst nightmare - the first night that I'm alone with him!

She comes over and helps with him while we wait for the paramedics (and I use that term loosely) to arrive. And apparently all paramedics aren't cute - dang it! By this time he is nauseated and is having difficulty breathing - they decide that he needs to go to the hospital - really?! And give me the option to take him myself (down the mountain an hour and a half) or they will take him in the ambulance - hmmm... let me think... uh... ambulance! While they are working on him - I'm frantically trying to locate insurance information, medication, doctor phone numbers (I now have all that info at the ready) and I look up and another one of the neighbors is there - not sure how he got there - but he goes into the bedroom where I have locked the dog up to calm the dog. He also offers to take the dog for the night. God Bless Him!

So they take my dad to the hospital - one of the major Boise hospitals downtown and according to my dad - get lost! I leave a little bit after them to take the trip down the hill knowing that I will not be coming back until the next day - don't want to risk driving back up with the ice on the road. So I get to the hospital and they are running all sorts of tests - and the RN - really nice guy - the cute dorky type that I like - so that wasn't so bad - and the doctor - HOT! He said my dad had an arrhythmia - which I think basically means irregular heartbeat - but not a good thing to have... so they gave him some medication to help with it, told us to make an appointment with the cardiologist on Monday and at 12:30am sent us on our merry way...

So we drove down the street to the Motel 6 to spend the night. He was still feeling dizzy - which is a problem he has had for years and has to do with some kind of crystals that form in his inner ear or something - but he wanted to just lay down and sleep - and he certainly did sleep - which was good for him - me - not so much - whenever he would get quiet - I kept looking over to make sure he was still breathing. By the morning he was feeling better so I went out to get us breakfast (neither of us had eaten since lunch the day before) while we waited for the pharmacy to open. And between the hotel clerk and the waitress, I've never been called sweetheart, honey or darling so many times in my life!

He was in much better spirits when we left - we stopped by the pharmacy - and picked up his prescription from the ER - and the pharmacist - another cute dorky type - maybe I need to move to Boise! Drove home in the snow and made it home around 11:30am - but it has just seemed like the longest day ever! He slept most of the afternoon and I even got in a bit of a nap. Making baked chicken and green beans for dinner - and then I think I will make it an early night...

My next post will be the more spiritual journey of the day - because God is SO good and I want to share how I really saw the entire day unfolding... stay tuned...

No comments: