Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Didn't Want To Get Busted For Fraud

I was looking back at my past entries and realized that it has been two weeks since that fateful day of the three letters!  And I just cannot express enough how good our God is and how thankful I am to Him for His faithfulness and blessings - He is an Amazing God!

So back two weeks - it was Labor Day weekend - I'd been having a wonderful weekend and then I opened the mail to find out that my mom's Medi-Cal benefits had been cancelled - to put it in perspective - her benefits save her (really me) around $200 - $300 a month - they pay for ALL of her medical expenses - God Bless the state of California!  So Tuesday morning - I immediately got on the phone to the social worker and left a message - didn't hear anything that day.  Blogged that night - was feeling a little more calm about things.  

On Wednesday, the social worker called me back and spent about 1/2 an hour with me explaining everything to me - and I was right - it was a $637 per month deductible that they wanted her to pay before any benefits would kick in.  After that kind of deductible - she would be left with about $650 to live on - crazy - the social worker agreed!  The social worker was so helpful - she explained to me how they calculate everything and told me that she makes $200 more than she should to qualify!  So she gave me a phone number for an agency that would work with me to find the best solution in terms of benefits for her - she also explained how we could work around the system to try to get full benefits - and then at the end of the conversation - she noticed that my mom's residence address was different from her mailing address and asked if she was living in an Assisted Living facility?  Of course my first thought is - what should I say - would it be better if she was living in Assisted Living or better if she lived on her own?  I was concerned that she might not qualify at all if she was in Assisted Living - but I figured I didn't want to get busted for fraud so I told her - yes - she was in AL.  As it turns out - that worked to our benefit.  All she needed was a letter or receipt showing that my mom was a resident of Assisted Living and there would be deductions that should qualify her for her benefits - so I let her know I would find the info and fax it to her the next day.

Went home that night - found the receipt - faxed it back the next morning - and within an hour she called me back and told my that my mom was back "on the sunny side" of the benefits - full benefits - everything paid for.  I was so overwhelmed and thankful - I had to cry - gee, what a surprise!  I went out to get lunch that day and I was just so overwhelmed with thankfulness to God that I just couldn't express it enough - I am still awed - I know I probably shouldn't be - He is the God that makes all things possible - but it is such a blessing to see it so specifically worked out in your own life.  Anywho... I know that I've started to ramble - so am going to go expend some of my energy and go running at the gym - stayed tuned for another entry tonight - I have a couple of gym and treadmill stories - as well as an analogy to prayer.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I knew that things worked out, but it is good to see the story in its entirety! Hooray for the nice social worker - surely a gift from God!!