Monday, September 22, 2008

She Won't Be Able To Find Them Again

Went to visit my mom today and I can just tell that she is deteriorating.  She wasn’t there when I arrived which was good since it gave me time to go through and do some cleaning and find her reading glasses that she told me someone stole – at least she didn’t accuse me this time of stealing them!  I found them in her dresser – with her TV remote that she hides in one of her socks – and then can never find – people steal it all the time too.   Anyway… she showed up just before I was getting ready to leave and had a friend with her and her friend said she was all upset – so I asked her what she was upset about and she said that someone had stolen her glasses – at which point I took the glasses out of her dresser and gave them to her.  She then told me they weren’t the right ones – she only has one pair of glasses.  And even before I left she kept insisting that they weren’t the right glasses – I noticed her putting them in the nightstand drawer as I was leaving – great – she won’t be able to find them again.

 And I tried so hard to be kind and generous with her – but when she gets that bordering nasty tone – it’s hard not to react.  It just rips my heart out every time I go see her – to see this woman who looks like my mom but isn’t the woman I called mom for so long.  Anyway – it was a tough visit – although I do have a fun mom story from a couple of weeks ago…

 I had gone to see her about two weeks ago on a Monday evening after work and right after her dinner time.  When I got to her room – she told me that I should have arrived sooner because one of her dining table mates has a son who comes for Monday at dinner time to have coffee with them and he is kind of cute – I might like him.  Sounds intriguing – although I remember when I first noticed her memory problems  -  her doctor sent us to a specialist and after we saw the specialist, my mom said he was kind of cute – and I joked with her about liking him and she said – not for me – for you.  This guy was old enough to be my father!  Not sure I want to know what this new guy looks like!  God Bless Her!

No comments: