Sunday, June 15, 2008

She Always Refers To As Daddy

So I went by to see my mom today after church.  When I got there - she told me about how one of the slats from her blinds fell off - so I put it back for her.  Of course a few minutes later as I was changing her sheets - she told me again that one of the slats from her blinds fell off and if I would fix it - God Bless Her!


After I was done making her bed - I laid out her clean clothes so she could put them away.  When I first arrived, she was wearing the sweater that I gave her from England - she always tells me that she doesn’t wear it to meals because she doesn’t want to spill anything on it  - and she told me how cold they keep it in the building - which must be an old person thing - it was rather comfortable considering it was 90 F outside!  So she is sitting on the bed and decides that it is hot - so she takes off the sweater and is wearing a tank top - and when she stands up to go to the closet - I notice the tags on the back of the top - she’s wearing it inside out!  She then decides to give me the tank top so I can wash it since I brought another clean tank top for her.  Of course by the time she takes the top off and gets to the bed where the clean clothes are - she forgets what she is going to put on - so she puts on a shirt sleeved top - then decides that it is too cold so she takes that off and puts the sweater back on - and once she gets the sweater back on - she wonders where the original tank top is that she had on!  It’s simply fascinating!


Since it is father’s day - I asked her questions about her dad - whom she always refers to as daddy.  She teared up and said that he was a kind man and she misses him very much.  He died before I was born so I never got to know him.  She talked about the farm she grew up on - my grandfather was a potato farmer in Idaho.  And it was interesting that she could remember all about the farm - the swing in the tree, the garden, the shade trees, but when it came to college - she remembered her older sister went to nursing school, but couldn’t remember that her younger sister ended up at the College of Idaho with her.  She also couldn’t remember how she met my dad - but does remember that he is the one that left her.  A friend was telling me that he has a digital recorder so whenever his dad starts talking about the past - he switches it on and starts to record - I need to start doing that also.  And as my mom misses her daddy - I miss my mommy.  And right now - I miss my dad also.

No comments: